Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Prepare, prepare, prepare!

Well I'm sad to say there's nothing much for me to report. Without my camera I simply feel at a loss for good blog posts. Michael and I jumped back into the grind of the week. It's a shame that the work week always comes back. Just when you think it's the weekend and you'll have so much time, you're back at your desk. Stinks! Anyway, I'm just relaxing tonight. My visiting teachers came by tonight, and I must say, after our conversation (one of them is a nurse) I'm a little nervous. She was telling me about the Health Region's preparations for the future. Apparently they're talking about a pandemic...not if, but when. It's a little alarming. She's sending me this email containing some more info from the Health Region, but needless to say I'm all of a sudden feeling very inadequate in my preparations for the future. I'll forward some more info on when I get it from her. It's more scary to hear those outside of our Church talk about such things. I somehow feel more nervous than I do when the Prophet tells us about it. That sounds bad, but I think it's just because we've been hearing it for years from Church, and not so much from the world. So my 72 hour kit, water supply, bleach supply (apparently), among other necessities needs to get started. It's hard with no extra cash floating around, and no room to store anything, but I'll figure something out. Prepare, prepare, prepare! I need to get working on that.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Is it that bird flu pandemic they're talking about or another one? I've also heard about something like that, in about 10 years or something, they think it's inevitable that a pandemic will hit us. It freaked me out too!! I don't like thinking about it...I am also not prepared!

Melinda Palmer said...

It was the bird flu she was talking about. Although their timing predictions come much faster than 10 years. I'll forward you the info she sends me.

Jeni said...

i know... my dad was telling me about it at christmas and it was super allarming to me! I have actually forgotten about it - surprisingly... BUT i have always had an excuse too... not enough space, no money. BUT as soon as we move into our hosue in july we are getting ready for it! the house we live in now it well equipt sooo lets hope it doesn't happen that soon! CRAZY

nena said...

I saw a thing on Oprah the other day on the bird flu! It scared me so bad, I think i'm going to go invest in some heavy duty masks. And not leave the house.

Heather Palmer said...

Talk about bird flu freaks me out!!! And I know Canada is going to have a vaccine for it soon and it will probably be more readily available than it will here. I'll be making an overnight trip for that one. I'm really greatful to my parents for the 72 hour kits they started for us this weekend. I could never have afforded to start one without all that stuff they got us, and the giftcards to continue them. That was awesome.I'm excited to get it finished. Anyway...I watched something on the news last night about a case in Thailand where 6 family members died from the bird flu and they think it was a result of person to person contact. That is very scary to me. I think it will be here sooner than anyone thinks. YIKES! I got some valved surgical masks on sale at Walmart for our 72 hour kits. Who knows if they work, but it can't hurt to have them. Anyway send me that info when she emails it to you!!!

Alysha Sladek said...

You'll have to send me the info you get. I've heard about it to, but like you the cash flow just doesn't allow for it. Guess it's one of those things you just have to save for.