Wednesday, September 06, 2006

A horrible awakening

Well I've been meaning to post a story that happened to us (Me, Michael, Kevin, and Cyndi) not last weekend but the weekend before, but I knew it would take some time and I haven't had a lot of that lately. The day after I got back from Utah, Michael and I left for Invermere with Kevin and Cyndi. They were nice enough to drive us out in the truck, and we left about 6 o'clock on a Friday. We were just past Calaway Park when Cyndi noticed a car on the opposite side of the road flipping out of control. We all watching in horror as this car toppled over and over and over on the highway. It was honestly like watching a kid throw a toy car across the room. It must've honestly gone over itself about 6 or 7 times. It didn't really seem real to me that we would have to do anything about it. It just seemed like we could watch and keep driving and that no one could have been hurt or anything, it just felt like a scene out of a movie. Well it wasn't until Kevin pulled right over and told Cyndi to call 911 right away that the reality of it sank it. He and Michael jumped out of the truck and ran to the sight of it all. A few other cars had already stopped and were running to the car, but what most people didn't notice was the man about 4 meters from the car on the ground. Kevin noticed him right away and was the first person to him, with Michael not far behind. Cyndi was explaining to the operator where we were and what the situation was as best as she could. We watched as people helped the 2 people who were still in the car, and as a crowd began to gather around the man on the ground. A doctor joined Kevin and tried to help assess the situation and they all tried to do anything to get this guy to breath a little better and to come to a bit. He was breathing and his eyes opened now and again but the situation wasn't good. The driver of the car was a girl about 20 years old and she was really shaken up, but didn't appear to be injured. I stayed in the car as Cyndi ran out to tell them not to move the guy and to help the ambulance find where the people were. It seemed to take forever for anyone to show up. Another man came on the scene. I think he was an EMT driving in his own car so he ran to help to. It was amazing just how many people were more than willing to stop and help in any way they could. Any way, we noticed shortly after that they were starting to do CPR on this man. The situation didn't look good and by the time help arrived, they had been working on him for quite some time. After much effort, they pronounced him dead and covered him over. Now the girl driving had no idea. She was being helped by the EMT's and she just had no idea that he was gone. It was horrible to witness all of this. I never got out of the truck thankfully, I stayed in there with Cyndi. Kevin stayed with the crew trying to help the man, and Michael was standing outside of the truck leaning on the door. He had seen things I hope to never see and watching his dad right there with that young man was just making him think that it could have just as easily been his dad on the ground. Anyway, after a few more moments of watching this, I heard a dull thud. I looked around for Michael, and he wasn't at the door. I scanned the scene again to see if he had walked back over to the accident and he wasn't there either. I looked out my window and there was Michael, laying on the ground with his legs half under the truck and his head about a foot from the shoulder of the road. He had completely passed out. I screamed "Michael just passed out" and jumped out of the truck. I dropped to him and grabbed his head. I kept calling to him and slapping his cheeks and moving his head and nothing. He just stared blankly at me. Now I've never seen someone pass out before except in the movies, and when that happens, they jump right back up. He wasn't coming to. I was so scared because like him before, I was thinking about how Michael could just as easily have been the young man I had just seen die. I was on the verge of tears the entire time, and then staring down at my Michael, who's not responding to me, I lost it. I started to cry and kept calling to him to wake up, and then Cyndi jumped out and slapped him and he finally snapped out of it. We got him back in the truck and he was so pale. We layed him down and got him comfortable, and after realizing that there was nothing more that could be done, Kevin got back in the car and we drove away. You could tell Michael wasn't feeling well, none of us were. We debated on just going back home, but instead we plugged on in silence for a while. It was a horrible experience and one I'll never forget. This young man was not wearing his seatbelt unlike his 2 friends who basically walked away from the accident. He was only 22 we found out later. After that Michael and I always wear our seatbelts and we do not speed. We are also now looking for a car that has as many safety features as possible. We are all too aware now of just how fragile life is. It has changed our perspective on things a great deal. I just thought I'd share that story with everyone, and I hope it has changed your perspective a little too. We may have no control over what might ultimately happen to us, but we can make sure we protect ourselves the best we can. Our thoughts and prayers go out to this young man's family, and especially to the friends in that car.

5 comments:

Alysha Sladek said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm so glad you guys are alright. Not one of those experiences you want to have. Hopefully this will convince Jimmy he needs to wear his seatbelt. ohhh that just makes me sad.

Heather Palmer said...

Michael told me that whole story about how he passed out. I was amazed. You don't realize how shocked you are by what you see until something like that happens. Though...I laughed when I pictured my mom slapping him to wake him up. Not funny, but you know...Anyway...I'm just so glad that car didn't roll INTO anyone, most of all you guys! Those experiences are a true awakening. Glad you guys were safe!!!!

Jeni said...

That is crazy - HOW blessed you all are to be safe... I hope the shaken up feeling goes away!

Brooke said...

Wow, what a life changing experience. I agree with the need for all of us to take all the precautions we can, and then leave it in the Lord's hands. Those experiences can be so traumatic. I'm so glad that you guys are alright though.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh....I have recently just had a similar experience. Except the passenger was a 16 year old girl....and she was alive the whole time we were there at the scene of the accident. We heard it all....and were among the first on the scene. And I will never forget what I saw and heard and that she was alive....was I guess is the operative word.

It's an awful reality to witness....certainly one that brings new clarity and perspective as to the truly important things in life.

Take it easy...these aren't experiences we easily replace or forget...and to some degree I can't help but think that is actually a good thing *sigh*