Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Not much to say

Well this post doesn't have an exciting story, or picture, or even much of a point. I'm just having one of those nights where I sort of feel blah. I have a lot going on in my mind and sometimes it's over whelming. My new calling is a little nerve racking to tell you the truth. With all of the things coming up, I wonder how I will get things done. Hmmm. I guess it's like my mom always says, "How do you eat an elephant?" The answer to that would be "one bite at a time." She used to talk me through each semester of school with that. I have to do my first activity tomorrow night with my girls, and I guess I have some fun things planned, but I just don't feel like I can possibly lead them. I feel like I should be sitting with them. To tell you the truth, they make me nervous. Girls their age tend to tell you EXACTLY how they are feeling, and what they think of what you're doing. That can be frightening. There isn't as much social grace and politeness when you're doing something they think is boring. Oh well, live and learn I guess. I'm sure in a few months I'll be feeling at home with all of this. Until then, I'll have to blog about it. Other than the activity, there's not a whole lot new with us. I went grocery shopping, and Michael is studying for a test tomorrow. I'll be so glad where there's no more school. I have to pick up Mom and Dad from the airport tonight at 11:55. That's hard when I have work tomorrow. Oh well, it needs to be done, and it'll be nice to have them back home. Well until...later!

7 comments:

Lara said...

You'll be great in YW. The girls will love you. I did that calling for a few years so if you need any help let me know. Thanks for picking up Mom and Dad.

Jeni said...

Mel, if you did RS pres you can do this!! but I know it does get super tough. but if anyone can do it - you!

Alysha Sladek said...

You'll be great and the girls will love having someone closer to their age. And like Jeni said - if you can do RS pres you can do this!!

Christensen said...

Melin.. don't stress about your calling. Things will come together, they always do. Plus, you're cute and fun and people like you!!

Sarah W. said...

I wrote a long comment and somehow it got deleted...so here is the short version. I was 23 when I got called into beehives. I was soooo nervous. The first thing I did was call each girl and tell them how excited I was to get to know them. You will start to love these girls so much that they will feel it and then they will do anything you say. They would always send me to round up the girls that were taking too long to come to class. Once they can feel the love you have for them....you can get them to do anything. I am sure you will be great!!!

Judy Taylor said...

Just remember to keep it simple! You don't have to have a circus every week. Involve the girls as much as possible in the execution of the activity. They will be happier if they are involved instead of staring at you, wondering what you are doing. The time will pass really quickly. And initially, it might be fun to spend a little time each week chatting and getting acquainted. Remember the song "Lead Kindly Light"? You don't need to see the end - you just need to see the next step! Love you!

BrittanyB said...

You'll be wonderful! And I'm jealous you get to be with the YW. I was released a month ago and I miss them so much! You will love it.