Saturday, March 08, 2008

A few words from Michael

It's Michael again.

I hope Melinda won't mind me taking just a minute on her blog (yes I've hacked in without her knowing) but I feel compelled to write just a few words today.

Just over a week ago I watched the love of my life endure the most painful experience she's ever faced. Since she was high on laughing gas she didn't have the headspace to call for me as she labored into the morning on the 27th of February. I slept peacefully until about 6:30am. I must have been awakened by angels because moments later she began to feel the profound pain that only you mothers have felt. The baby was coming.

It seemed like an instant later Melinda was in excrutiating pain and the only relief was to push. The hospital staff were insistant on not going forward with an epidural, and even removed the only pain relief she actually had (this was probably the one time in my adult life I wanted to strike a woman). There are no words that can properly describe my own anguish as my wife, and best friend cried out "Help me, please help me." Tears washed down my face as I relized that although I was at her side, she bore the pain unavoidably alone. Seemingly an instant later this beautful, living, breathing baby was in our arms.

This video is a compilation of some of the moments I've captured within the first 3 days of Claire's life, and is a tribute to Melinda and Claire. Thank you to Kandice, who recommended the song, it is perfect for how I know Melinda feels about our daughter.

I have an entirely new respect for all of you mothers who selflessly bare, and nurture your children. You're nothing less than heroes.

It may take quite a while to load, so if you care to see it please be patient.

13 comments:

Kandice Stewart said...

That video is SOOO well done Michael! She's such a little gem! Proud of you Melin! She sure has some great parents! Love you all!

Jeni said...

"OH no!!" hehe you guys are so cute!
ok A few things here. 1. why did you not get an epidural if you were already in the hospital for 14 hours? I dont get it! You are the woman though, OUCH!
2. She totally has your long skinny fingers Melin! So pretty!
3. I love the little sucking after you take away their food.. hehe it is sooo cute!
you are already such gerat momma and dadda! I love you guys!

Emily said...

wow..you sure know how to bring tears to our eyes! that was such a beautiful video! the song was perfect and so is your little girl! we love you guys so much, we're so grateful to have you all in our lives!

Emily S said...

Great post michael, I'm sure Melinda appreciates your understanding and support for her and for mothers in general.
Beautiful video.

Tara Fears said...

K, SO CUTE!!! Congrats! I hope I get to meet her soon!

jos said...

Oh... Congratulations!!!I think I am the last to see her but I love her! I am so proud of you melin!!! I cried over your sweet tribute. Nothing tops a mothers love for her babies. I wish I could be there! Thank goodness for blogs:) miss you! Love, me

BrittanyB said...

what a sweet video, and sweet words about Melin. Congrats again, Claire is adorable!

Heather Palmer said...

Michael - you are in the WRONG business. You should be a writer. I can't wait to meet her.

Proud Momma said...

So cute...She is so dainty and petite! I just love her!

Julie said...

Oh she is precious. I loved Michael's tribute! It made me cry cause I'm such a sap. Congratulations guys. She really is so sweet! BTW...I'm with Jeni...the sucking after the bottle is out of her mouth is so cute!

Alysha Sladek said...

awww it brought tears to my eyes. she's so precious. hope you're all doing well. what a beautiful little girl you have!

Barb said...

You made me cry with your post and then I really cried after the video. Great job.
She is beautiful. Congratulations and enjoy every monment with her.

Stacey Salmon said...

Congrats!!! She is so cute. And so tiny. Both my boys were almost double her size 9 pounds 12 ounces, and 9 pounds 9 ounces. You are going to have so much fun with her.
Stacey