Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Claire Cynthia Palmer

I can't believe it's taken me this long to get on here and announce her name. I'm sure by now, most of you had already heard it somewhere else. Sorry for the delay, but we don't really have the internet at the moment (the Shaw guy was coming on the 28th, but we were in the hospital still). Other than that, I've been totally wiped. Anyway, her name is Claire Cynthia (Cynthia after Michael's mom). She was 5 pounds 12 ounces, and just over 3 weeks early. They did all they could to keep my blood pressure down, but it didn't work so last Tuesday, after my regular checkup, my doctor told me I'd won myself a trip to the hospital. I went home to get Michael and my things together just in case we needed to stay for a while. We spent about 12 hours in triage before they could decide what to do. Finally, they decided to induce me. They were going to use a foley (essentially a catheter for your cervix, which helps move everything along). I was more nervous about this than anything else I think. It was supposed to take about 4-6 hours to get me to about a 3 so I could offically be in labour. Well they ruptured my membranes by accident instead, and I was off to my own room for delivery. It seemed like a total palace compared to the cot in triage. They started me on a IV of cyntosomething to get me going at about 1 in the morning. I was fully expecting to labour for a while, get my epidural (as you all know I was fully expecting to do), and then have the baby. Well, instead I progressed was faster than the doctor expected and the next time she came into check me, I was at a 10. They were all so excited that I could just go ahead and have the baby. I had had a shot of morphine (which did NOTHING for pain, but made me totally out of it). I also had the gas which saved me totally! I asked at that point if I could have the epidural now, and they said I didn't need one since I'd done all of the really hard stuff already. Michael tried to argue for me and I tried too while I was totally delirious. They said I should try pushing for 30 min, and if I wasn't progressing, we could do the epidural. Well 37 minutes later Claire was here, and I just given birth without the epidural I had planned on my whole life I think. It wasn't fun, but shockingly better than I had imagined. And, I can now say that my recovery was better without it, and next time I'm insisting right away that I get the epidural. I don't really want to do that again.

She was so beautiful to us right away, and we spent forever trying to pick her name. We picked just before we left the hospital (which I was in for 3 days). We love the name now that it's picked, and she's such a Claire to me. We're now at home and exhausted, and completely in love with our girl. I can't wait to watch her grow. She's so tiny that none of the clothes I had fit her.

Anyway, Michael's got the camera at work and I think he's going to try and post some pictures right away. We have some good ones. Sorry it's taken so long, but once I get my internet hooked up, I'll get a bunch more up. Thank you for all of your wonderful comments. We are so blessed to have so many people who care about us!

15 comments:

Kandice Stewart said...

I LOVE herrr!! She's so tiny and cute I just can't get over it. I keep pulling my camera out everywhere I go to show people pictures of the new little princess! Sad you guys are moving so soon :( but I'm soo happy that this little girl is finally here! :D

Love you!

And might I remind you how much of a champion you are for the non-epidural thing (even though it wasn't by choice!)

Estelle Kane said...

She is beautiful Melinda! I can't wait to see more pictures, Congratulations!

Julie G said...

I can't wait to meet her!

Alysha Sladek said...

I'm glad things went alright. Sorry 'bout the no epidural, but sounds like you did great! Can't wait to see more pictures! I hope you're both doing well and recovering quickly.

Amber said...

Cute name!!! I love it! Glad everything is going well and you are home.

Krissy Marshall said...

What an absolute Doll. She is beautiful. Congrats to you both & enjoy!

Ciara said...

what a beautiful name! congrats melin! what a whirlwind you were in...congrats on enduring the impossible (no epidural)...crazy!

Emily S said...

Don't you feel so good now that you didn't get the epidural when you were 100% convinced you would. haha Now you can brag about it :P
She's beautiful, we're very happy for you guys.

BrittanyB said...

wow, no epidural, you are amazing! I love the name, and can't wait for more pics! Hope you get some rest soon ;)

Ryan + Jess said...

I'm sorry about how things went at the hospital, but I am so glad that you are both healthy and home safe.

It was great to see you and baby Claire - she is a beauty!

Heather Palmer said...

I'm honestly DYING for some pictures here...give it up!! :) Anyway...I picked up a preemie outfit for her...but then figured by the time UPS gets all her stuff there it would be just in time for you shower...and would no longer fit her so I exchanged it. HOpe it works.
It was good to read all about your story since I haven't been able to reach you (I know MIchael loves carrying your pink cell phone, but come on! :) hehe. Love you!!!

.Ang. said...

Congrats!!!

I had a similar experience with my first! with the High blood pressure, and the early delivery and such..

Isn't it soo nice that you aren't pregnant any more when you COULD BE????

Congratulations once again! Hope you are all doing alright!

Sarah W. said...

You are such a trooper!!! I can't imagine having a baby without the epidural. She is really such a cute little peanut. I'm glad you and Clair are safe and healthy after all that drama.

Emily said...

You sure did a good job! Claire is beautiful!! Hope these past few days have been good to you! I want to visit again, but I won't dare bring Jacey or his germs over there, so we'll have to wait! :( What bad timing! Can't wait to see more pictures in the mean time, I'm sure she's changed even from when we saw her last!

Proud Momma said...

That's awesome Melin...I love her name, it seems like one of those old fashioned names that you don't hear for awhile and then it comes back and all of a sudden it's popular again! Love it